After watching the documentary Forks Over Knives, Joe and I decided about a year and half ago to change our eating habits. Rather than going completely vegan or vegetarian however, we made the decision to occasionally have meat or fish on the weekends. The results have been completely astounding! Here are just a few:
1) We both lost 10-15 pounds a piece
2) I no longer have headaches on a daily basis
3) Our energy levels have increased significantly
4) My hair and skin is much healthier (I also attribute this to using Ava Anderson Non-Toxic products)
5) Our digestion has greatly improved
6) Our grocery bill decreased (big shocker when you consider how much produce we purchase on a weekly basis)
Does this take a lot of preparation on my part? You bet! I’m planning out every meal a week in advance and cooking in the mornings, since we both work in the evenings. Up to this point I’ve been using various Trader Joe’s cookbooks, but thanks to Kelly & Ben Silber, this month I’ll be using Fresh From the Vegan Slow Cooker by, Robin Robertson and going completely vegan without the weekend cheating that we usually allow ourselves. I’ve planned to make four lunch/dinner meals at home each week and have mentally made a list of various restaurants around Columbus to turn to on the weekends that offer vegan options.
What’s on the menu today you might ask? The preparation began yesterday with Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal for brunch and African Peanut Stew for dinner. I can’t wait to see how I feel at the end of the month. Who knows, maybe this goal will continue on into February and the remainder of 2015!